Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Where is the trash?

I asked myself this question as I wondered the streets of Seoul. This is a city with a population of over 25 million and I have yet to see neither trash nor debris along the streets or any trash cans. Where does the waste go? I was irritated by the fact as I walked the streets I could not throw my bottle in the trash nor was I comfortable throwing my gum wrapper on the floor. I observed that trash cans in local eateries had individual containers labeled for certain types of trash, but even those trash cans were small. I began to ponder is it a cultural thing.

Maybe it is.

Think about the trash that is along the freeway and the parking lots of our favorite stores that we shop. Consider the trash that we individually throw out of our car windows or just leave behind when we are finished with the use of that item. The overflowing trash cans at almost every bin. Jackson’s population of less than a half-million people produce more trash then I have see all of Seoul.

Niecey Napier

No comments: