Monday, June 29, 2009

A Chinese Superstar

During our stay in China I noticed numerous Chinese citizens taking my picture. Some would run over laughing and giggling begging for a picture. Others would try and take my picture without my noticing. At first I felt like a superstar, I felt like Oprah! But then it started to get overwhelming and sometimes I felt annoyed. I then wondered how Oprah gets through an amusement park without being harassed for photos and autographs. I’m not sure what she does but all I could do is Run, Run, Run!

Finally towards the end of our trip, I was able to ask a young Chinese male why everyone wanted to take my picture. His answer was simple and what I had hoped for: We seldom see Blacks in China. I never stopped to think about it and then realized that not all parts of the World are like America or other nations that have American troops. There last interaction with the many flavors of the World was probably the Olympics?

So, I went to China and I was a Superstar!! An ordinary American girl became extraordinary, at least for four days!!!


Karen Nazaire

No comments: