Thursday, June 25, 2009

Communication is key

I was taken back by how accommodating Seoul is as a whole to foreigners. This is my first time traveling abroad I found it strange that signs outside of the city were in English. It was expected to me that the airport would have information because of tourist, but as I travel the streets of Seoul I am able to read street signs and buildings although majority of the population does not know English and cannot assist you. I never understood what it was like to be able to function at a minimal level because there is a communication barrier. I find myself having a difficult time to order food because I can’t read the menu or ask a question because there is no picture. I am unable to ask for directions because I can’t communicate where I am going. It was scary but rewarding at the same time to see how I am able adjusts to situation that I am faced with at that time. Now I am more sympathetic and appreciative to foreigners and the issues they face in America.

Niecey Napier

No comments: