Sunday, June 21, 2009

Tipping the scale not a major Issue in South Korea


Ever wondered why most Korean’s are small and petite? Ever wonder how they can consume so much food and not gain any weight well the answer is simple. They walk, walk and walk some more. When we first arrived in Korea, we walked ten blocks to the shuttle bus, and then walked up two flights of stairs to the elevator before arriving at our dorm located at Sookmyung Women's University in downtown Seoul.

So I thought that was pretty bad! But I was wrong….Later that night we would hike it down four flights of stairs plus one hill and then walk about half a mile to eat dinner. After a very filling dinner we would once again walk half a mile, climb a hill and walk up four flights of stairs back to the dorm…only to realize I was hungry again. What happened to the Meat Skewers I just ate? By the time I had made it home half the calories in my meal had been walked off!

As an American, I must say turning 18 and getting my first car didn’t help; especially when it concerns my physical health. Now when I’m hungry I hop in my car and drive to dinner. When we get to the restaurant or mall we try to park as close as possible to the door. We eat heavy meals and most of us don’t burn the amount of calories we need to stay in shape.

So, the lesson I have learned so far is to put my keys down and walk… While I probably won’t walk up too many hills when I get back to Jackson, Ms; I will make an effort to burn less gas and walk!

Karen Nazaire

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's nothing. Take a day trip down to Suwon and trek to mountain in the middle of the city and then trek up the mountain. Now that's a hike! Just ask Prof. Bowman.