Sunday, July 12, 2009

Clark Miljush Blog 7-1-09

I went to the Gyeongbokgung Palace today. I have heard that the Korean language was derived from the Chinese but it also seemed like Korean architecture borrowed from the Chinese as well. The style of the buildings in this palace reminded me of the Forbidden City in Beijing. What really made the connection between the two civilizations was these statues that were placed along the roof lines. In both China and Korea the figures are larger towards the top of the roof and progressive get smaller as the roof slopes down. The figures are animals which look like bulls and dragons. At the temple I also visited the museum where I was able to view some of their ancient artwork which was fantastic. One of the best things about Korean museums and temples is the cost. I paid only three dollars to visit this piece of history in Korea.

No comments: