Sunday, July 12, 2009

Clark Miljush Blog 6-20-09

We left Seoul Korea yesterday to visit Jeju Island. This experience has been fantastic. The island is very beautiful and well kept. I could describe the waterfalls I saw, the unique formation of rocks along the coast, or the lava caves but I would prefer to discuss my experience with 11 Korean's I randomly met on the beach here in Jeju. After a day of exploring I topped it off by going down to the beach and was just sitting watching the waves. As a group of Koreans walked by one said “hello, enjoy Korea”, and I responded “hello, and I am having wonderful time.” It sparked a conversation and they asked me to go swimming in the ocean with them. I happily agreed. As we swam we discussed where we were from, and where we are headed in life. After our swim I asked them the best way to get back to my hotel and then the Korean's offered to give me a ride back to my hotel which I accepted.

As we were driving along the group would all choose a song and sing. So as we clapped our hands, sang songs and talked, I learned an incredible amount about Korean culture. I learned they are passionate about soccer, they know more about American politics than most Americans. One crucial realization I had was is; in an informal environment the Koreans can simply let loose and have fun like Americans do

No comments: