Thursday, August 21, 2008

We Should Do That In American 2- Lauren Casey

After Returning home from Seoul I realized that I remembered the little, quirky things about Korea more than I thought I would. It's the little things that show you how truly different the cultures are.
After about one week in Seoul I got used to most of the differences---it is strange how you just do not realize that no one around you is speaking English. (This was actually really coll and I miss it because you could talk about anything and you could be assured that pretty much no one around you could understand what you were saying). But randomly, I would see something so strange and funny that it just caught my attention. Every few days we would be walking around the city and we would see a couple, usually young, dressed in identical outfits. Now in America there is the common trend for a couple to wear matching Halloween costumes such as Wilma and Fred, but these people were matching in the middle of June. I am not really sure why this is done, but I think that it is a really good idea.
I think we should do this in America because it would cut down on the confusion of whether a person is taken. You would just know because they are both wearing the same blue and white stripe shirt. It would end the awkwardness of hitting on someone that was taken and them having to say, "Sorry I have a boyfriend/ girlfriend." This is just seems to simplify things so well.
Deciding to go to Seoul has been one of the greatest decisions that I have made---the chance to see a different culture and immerse yourself in it was truly a one in a lifetime experience. I really miss it, especially now that school has started!!

No comments: