Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hey, it could happen


http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,227115,00.html

This is a link to the article. This particular topic concerns me greatly. As the article suggests, there is a way to reverse this problem, unlike our ever decreasing oil reserves. I for one, enjoy being able to go to Nagoya (sushi restaurant) on the weekend and order about 2 dozen tuna rolls or California rolls, but am I contributing to the problem? Possibly. But how is this problem fixed? Take this in stride with Andy's last posting.  Is it my fault that I love fish but am also concerned about the ever-decreasing fish populations of the world? Is this another prime example of U.S. hypocritical consumerist conservatism. (those three words together hurt my head)
The fact is, our ways are much slower to change than the quantity of resources we consume. Thus, plans must be enacted which capitalize on our uberconsumerist tendencies. If we consume a ton of fish, we must use the billions in revenue to build natural saltwater fish farms to cultivate those species we most enjoy.

Do not for one second think that the U.S. is in any way totally responsible for depleting the world's fish populations either. I use the U.S. because I can talk about myself, but the truth is, many countries around the world consume much more of the commercial fish population than the U.S., particularly on a per-capita basis.

(check out the journal that does many studies on this called "Science")

A. Stubbs

No comments: